Sunday, September 22, 2013

Samuel's birth story

The morning of 9/18, I went in for my weekly appt. I was not feeling well, and hadn't for over a week thanks to the high BP, so I was curious to see what would happen that day. 

My appt was at 9:30, but I wasn't seen until 10:30. My BP was higher than it had been, at 153/95. Dr. C was going to send me to the hospital for more testing, but then he asked if I had any other symptoms and I mentioned my nasty headache and he sent me to be admitted for induction instead. 

I texted Kyle to figure out how to move the kiddos around and notified family. Grandma headed down and I got all set up in my delivery room. 

It took forever to get my blood drawn, questions answered, iv started, and all that. They started the magnesium (torture), and then at 2:30, finally put the gel in to start the induction. Grandma was there, but Kyle was still shuffling kids around. 

The first gel didn't do much as far as starting contractions, but when they checked me at 4:30, I had gone from 1cm and 25% effaced to thin and 3 or 4 cm. I can't remember. Kyle and my mom had gotten there by then. 

I got the second round of gel, and at about 5:30, Dr. C came in and checked me and I was already at a 6, he broke my water, started a catheter cuz my full bladder was preventing him from descending. Dr. C knew I didn't want an epidural and said, "you don't need an epidural now, you're at a 6!"  He also said he could feel Samuel's fingers and had to move them out of the way, which was very uncomfortable but also stretched me to a 7.  7 cm and I hadn't even had any contractions to speak of. 

They started pitocin. I had some strong contractions, screamed like a banshee, but prayed through some of them, and got really dizzy because I couldn't breathe through my nose. Dr. C came back in, I was at a 9. He said I could probably push through the next contraction and I was like "I caaaaan't!!" And he's like, "Kara, yes you can." I was like whatever, and protested some more and then just pushed anyway. Sure enough, 2 pushes and 2 contractions later, Samuel was out at 6:43 pm. 

I'm pretty sure I only had 10 or less intense contractions. It was so fast and a little scary, but amazing. My recovery so far has been great. I felt wonderful right after he was out. 

I stayed on the magnesium until the next morning, and Kyle had to go home, so the baby was sent to the nursery that night, which was not much fun for me. Magnesium is awful stuff, and once I was off that, I felt even better. 

My prayers were answered for this birth. I had a great experience with the staff, my dr was there, and I didn't have an epidural. I was also able to offer up prayers, which I've never done before. 

Samuel is a sweet and quiet little guy. Nursing like a champ, and is so loved by us and his big sisters. 

Samuel Francis 
September 18th, 2013
6:43 pm 
5lb 6oz, 19" long 
Gestational age: 37weeks 6days

6 comments:

"If you can't say somethin' nice... don't say nothin' at all..." ~Thumper